Here is how you can file taxes for free
The program is called the VITA Program and the sites are usually found in public places like libraries, schools, mall, etc.
The service is done by volunteers who have to be IRS certified to do it. A lot of the locations will offer e-filing.
As I mentioned in my last post
www.taxman123-blog.com/2012/02/06/fastest-way-to-get-your-tax-refund/ it is one of the things to do to get your refund faster.
Call 1-800-906-9887 for information about the site nearest you.
You could also learn how to do tax preparation and do your own for free while earning a few bucks doing other people’s taxes.
Free tax filing for people over 60
There is a program that gives a priority to people over 60 years of age.
It’s called the TCE Program and the IRS certified volunteers are often senior citizens who are helpful with retirement and investment issues more often related to people over 60.
The number for information about TCE is 1-888-227-7669.
What to bring
- A picture ID for proof of you identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc, 1099K from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate.
Married – Joint Filing
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.